Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2017

"Be a woman other women can trust... Be a woman who lifts other women." Sophia A. Nelson

First off, I just want to address that this post is no way meant to cause any problems; it's just a statement of my opinion. I think it is GREAT that women are all over marching for women's rights. Instead of participating in the march, I went and saw Hidden Figures.  I wish I had been able to join them but I just couldn't logically get there and here's why:


  • Like the quote above, my definition of feminism is that women everywhere support all women's decisions. That means stay-at-home mothers respect working women AND vice versa. One of the reasons I could not attend is because there was so much anti-pro-choice rhetoric in all of the march invitations I received. I just want to state simply: I am not less of a feminist because I do not support abortion. I do not think women are less feminist because they chose to vote with Trump. It is my right to think that, but I also think it's awesome that women who think differently than me go out and say something. However, let's support all women. Just because I do not fully support that portion of women's rights does not make me any less of a woman. I am all about girl power. I'm happy that you are fighting for it. I love when people have passion. Please allow me the same. 
  • I did not enjoy the hypocrisy. When Bill Clinton got caught with an intern, we all gave him a pass. These are ACTIONS that happened WHILE he was president. Now lest anyone excuse me, I pretty much despise Trump's character. NOT defending him. I can rest easy at night knowing that in no way did I help put him in this position. However, I believe that things should be consistent. If women are so traumatized about things Trump has said in the past, why did we give Bill such a free pass? That's not feminism. It's selective feminism with a political agenda. Again, I literally did not vote for him. Or wanted him to win. He goes against a lot of my personal values. However, shouldn't we give him a chance? I want him to prove me wrong. I hope he becomes an excellent person. I also do not believe he is inherently evil. He has some excellent qualities. Will I ever respect him as a person, probably not. But I do hope he succeeds in leading this country because if he loses, we all lose. 
I want to make something clear: 
So true. Our society spends so much time rallying women against each other by feeding on our insecurities. I want us all to feel powerful, strong, and capable in this life.:

"I'm not interested in competing with anyone. I hope we all make it." - Erica Cook:

I THINK IT IS SO COOL that people participated in this march. But ,this event was not inclusional. I am happy that it got noticed. I think it's super cool that so many people, men and women and children, were so passionate about it that they decided to march. But let's make the march about equality and loving towards ALL women and not just against a president. I hope this doesn't ruffle too many feathers. Like I said, I'm all about boss women. I want to see more women in Congress and in business and tech worlds. I want future daughters to grow up believing they can be president of the United States if they want to work for it. I also love freedom of speech. But I also love action. 

During the march, I went and saw Hidden Figures and it inspired me. These African-American women in the 60s working at NASA had WAY more to complain about than we do today. The woman responsible for getting a man safely down from orbit in space the first time had to run over 1/2 mile to use the restroom since there were no restrooms in the nearby buildings.  But you know what they did, they worked hard, asked for what they deserved and eventually they got it. And you know what happened, the first American man orbited in space... That's what unity can do. I'm not suggesting we all get together and send another man in space, but I am saying unity, especially in this wonderful sisterhood of being women, is what needs to happen. Both sides need to calm down and see the other side. Being a woman in the 21st century is balla. I love it. We have so much freedom. And you know what? If you don't like what you see, you live in a country where you CAN march. And the other great thing? You can teach your children that it's not okay to make rude remarks about anybody different from them and that it's certainly not okay to disrespect someone because of political or sexual orientation, gender, race, religious preference, etc. That we need a little bit of everything to make this whole melting pot work. Anyway, I came away with a resolve to do something. I am going to get more education and solve problems and then I am going to teach my future children how to get along with people with differences without compromising their own standards. I've also decided to be more strong about arguing for stay-at-home mothers. My mom did not need a college degree (but also shout-out to her because she IS going back to school for herself!) to raise me into a kind, critical thinker with love and respect. And that's pretty boss in my book. I just want to end with one of my favorite quotes by Helen Keller: "What I"m looking for isn't out there, it is in me."

No comments:

Post a Comment