Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2013

"Be happy with what you have while working for what you want. So much has been given to me, I have no time to ponder that which has been denied."- Helen Keller

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Helen Keller and think she was such a boss and she definitely had it right. I loved this quote because I'm fairly certain I didn't get into the leadership thing in New York because I didn't get an email. But I'm actually okay with it because it's been a really good week. I have so many great things going for me in my life and I cannot wait for all my future beautiful things, places and people I'll get to privilege to know. 

  •  Friends/People in your life for a reason.  I absolutely loved this quote I stumbled upon:
"In Friendship… we think we have chosen our peer. In reality a few years’ difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another… the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting- any of these chances might have kept us apart. But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking, no chances.


A secret Master of Ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,” can truly say to every group of Christian friends, “You have not chosen one another, but I have chosen you for one another.” The Friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each the beauties of others.” –C.S. Lewis

Holy guacamole. I read this and started tearing up. I love the part that says that are “no chances.” I really love this quote because I realized all the people in my life that I really shouldn’t have become friends with or even met had this been in a day and age where you can travel. It’s also cool to think that Heavenly Father is so actively enrolled in your life that he helps guide you to your friends. Recently I have met two people who I KNOW are in my life at this time for a reason: my roommates Sarah and Mary Elizabeth. It is so weird how much Sarah and I have in common and how ME and I can talk about struggles we’ve had with personal issues. After reading this quote, I just can’t help but think that this is NOT a chance that they ended up as my roommates. I’ve felt this many times in my life, especially last summer, but it’s so amazing that they are so great. (Yes, this is cheesy, but I am just feeling so grateful for the ‘chances’ in my life that keep occurring).

  • Last Saturday all us girls (my roommates Marisa, Sarah and Mary Elizabeth) had one of the best nights I’ve had in awhile. I am still sometimes stuck in DC mode where everything is an adventure and Provo is definitely NOT most of the time. Anyways, we went out to pizza at this swanky pizzeria and then went for cazookies. We then all went to Monsters University and I was so surprised how good it was. It was so fun to bond with them and realize that this thing is really only acceptable in college! I loved it, but instantly got sad that I will have to eventually leave this place. It was a weird feeling because I usually hate Provo. Anyways, moral of the story: my roommates rock.

  • This weekend was delightful. I stayed in on Friday and caught up on Modern Family/ studied a bit for the GRE. Then yesterday, I had a nearly perfect day. I went to the Draper temple and did baptisms with Sarah. It was such a good temple experience. The people were more laid-back than Provo and I actually could feel the spirit because it was silent. The baptistery is also super pretty. It was just what I needed to fill my spiritual tank. We then went to Chipotle (yay!) and bought mini bundt cakes. Then Sarah and I watched Bride Wars and the whole time I was missing Marisa (she’s in Boston!) because that’s one of our movies.

  • Inspire My Life. I got these free tickets (thanks Christine!) to this event called Inspire My Life, which was all about being inspirational and using music to do so. The guy that did the score for Napoleon Dynamite performed with his band and then this motivational speaker, Hank Smith got up and gave such an empowering speech about determination. Two stories stuck out:
1. Did you know the guy who broke the four-minute mile, Roger Bannister, wasn’t even a professional runner? He was a med student, meaning he would have 12 hour shifts at the hospital and then train to run. CRAZY.
2. There has been a blind man (Erik Weihenmayer) who climbed Mt. Everest. I feel like I have NO excuse to not do anything active. His story is crazy good, and I suggest you read more about him if you have the opportunity. 
It was so great. One of my favorite random moments was when he said “We vote with our feet.” He was saying that by going to certain things or places, we are consciously  making a decision to support that/put it as a priority. I loved that! The things we choose to participate in show what we truly care about. I also loved how he talked about how good was the enemy of great and how complacent we as humans tend to be. 
  • Tender Mercy. While I was at Inspire My Life, a woman who looked familiar got up and started singing. And then she started talking and it sounded exactly like the woman who plays Emma Smith in my favorite movie. I was like holy crackers, I'm probably hallucinating. But after a quick verification of the actress' name (thanks dad!), I found out it was her! I started getting really excited. After her performance, I went up and talked to her about my love for Emma and her portrayal of her. It was unreal and was not something that was ever on my 'bucket list' but it was too perfect. Here I was, discussing Emma with the woman who had portrayed her in multiple movies. It was like meeting Emma in real life. After a really starstruck picture, I walked out, called my mom and started crying. I hadn't even realized that this was ever something I needed, but it was a perfect moment of divine inspiration. I cannot wait until I actually meet Emma Smith! It really increased my testimony that my Heavenly Father knows me more than I do! Also you should check out this song/video about her life. It made me cry. 

  • Boss Women Unite. So Candace and I are actually doing this. We're going to launch a Facebook page and blog with awesome quotes and inspirational little post. I LOVE THIS GIRL. It's not every often that a joke turns into a real thing and this is because of her drive. I cannot wait to help women everywhere embrace their inner boss with her. Ah! Look forward to it people!
New iPad cover
ME AND KATHERINE NELSON (i.e. Emma)
Draper temple with Amanda and Sarah!!
Draper temple
Going to miss this guy for the next two years!
Anyways, I'm obviously in a very grateful mood! This is my current jam (American Honey by Lady Antebellum) because it's so summery! Life is great! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment