Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Rise and Shout, the Cougars (and Apostles!) are Out!"

So two Saturdays ago, I got to experience one of the craziest/funnest (I know I'm majoring in English and should use better grammar, but this is a blog people!) events: attending the first football game of the season!

Game day is apparently a bigger deal than I realized. Eveywhere I turned I was surrounded by BYU gear. And the good old phrase "Go Cougs!" I was reallly excited to go but boy was I naive. First of all, I did wear my BYU shirt which was a win. Wearing my cute new Buckle jeans that are dark blue? Not a win. In fact I'd go so far as to call it a failure. Why may you ask? Because the student section directly faces the sun. And it's Utah, so it's like a trillion degrees. And I'm decked out in dark blue. It was SOO hott!! And because I didn't have my mom with me to make sure I had my water bottle, I totally forgot it. So I was dying of thirst! But despite all of this, it was soo much fun! (Minus the creepy arm raising played to the Star Wars theme song. Seriously every time Washington didn't get a first down and we got the ball, the band played the Star Wars theme song and every body marched. It seriously looked like a Nazi convention in my humble opinion!) Oh and when it's a 'Cougar first down' this really creepy cougar sounds plays haha.

The last week was so much fun as well. My co-worker and I decided to write a sonnet for the afternoon girls and we even made a shield for our protection! It was so much fun. I also got to watch Gilmore Girls with Casey and Nicole which totally made me miss my mother! (We are sooo Lorelai and Rory!) Friday night was spent at Sam's apartment where I totally was lame and fell asleep at like midnight. (Now that's the Kelsey you know!) Anyways it was good! :) And then this week began...

On Sunday it was our "Regional Conference." And guess who was there to speak to us? Why yes, it was two Apostles, a member of the Seventy, and the General  Relief Society president. (Elder Holland, President Packer, Elder Snow and Sister Beck all spoke). It was WAY incredible!! I loved it! And then later on that night it was a CES fireside with Richard G Scott. I'm pretty sure he is now one of my favorite Apostles. He was hilarious! Favorite quote of the night? *Right after this guy tells how he takes his wife to the movies for date night* "That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. I guess it's alright if you're married, but if I hear about any of you single young men taking girls to the movies, I will be disappointed. You can't get to know someone at a movie." Soo funny!!

Anyways, I then had a long crazy hectic morning. I worked at my awesome job, and then met Sam for lunch because it was her birthday! Fast forward to Tuesday and guess what? Another apostle came! (Yes, that does bring the total to four Apostles in the space of 48 hours!) Anyways, Robert D. Hales came for devotional. Michal and I were working, but her roomates saved us seats... on the floor! So we got permission from our awesome boss ( I love her, seriously she's like the best boss EVER!) to leave early. His talk was soooo utterly fantastic. I loved when he said "The world tells you to get a life. I would like to change that to get an eternal life." Soo good! I worked out like a champion as well. And then proceeded to trip up the steps. And that's when something crazy hit me. This was so symbolic of my life! The reason I tripped was because I was so focused on getting to the top that I forgot I was still walking. And now, I realize that while it is good to plan for the future, it is also good to love and live in the present a little too! After all Eleanor Roosevelt once said "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is history. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present. "I also got invited to go to a Safetysuit concert on Saturday, so I'm going with all of my favorite people here in Provo! Soo excited!! I also got to hang out with Sam and eat ice cream! :)

At last but not least, today. Today I had like zero hours of sleep because I just couldn't fall asleep. And then I got consumed with the idea of moving off-campus, so I've been researching places to live. Best part of the day? Eating chocolate covered cinnamon bears. Those things should be illegal they're so good! I was on campus for 12 hours today which literally almost killed me. I NEED to be at my house most of the time! But, I got to text my aunt Sierra, so it was all good! I also lost my best friend... my water bottle. I guess I'll have to substitute water with my new love,those darn cinnamon bears! I got home totally exhausted to find a letter from my Omi (She's my grandma. It's German for grandma or something like that haha). It seriously made my day. I am soo proud to be in the family I am in. Both sides of my family are soo supportive and love me so much.

To everybody who has in some fashion helped me come here, thank you thank you thank you! I love it here! I miss you all, but I know this is where I'm supposed to be. Go cougs!

1 comment: