Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

"Forget conventionalisms. Forget what the world thinks of you stepping out of your place. Think your best thoughts, speak your best words, work your best works, looking to your own conscience of approval. I had rather make history than write it. Failure is impossible." Susan B. Anthony

I love love love that quote. It's probably because I Susan B. Anthony is also an INTJ. I also do recognize that given what I am about to write, I probably shouldn't quote a hardcore feminist. Sometimes being a young Mormon women leads me to feel like I have to be a part of the mold. Especially here in Provo. So I'm going to clarify a few things (and soothe myself that it's okay to be different at the same time):  

Myth #1: I'm a hardcore feminist. Yeah, based off my obsession with Hillary Clinton, many people think that I am. But let me explain first. I found this pin on Pinterest (yes, I now how this just made this seem not legitimate haha) but I LOVED what it said:

This is so true! I am all for women's rights, but I think it's getting a little bit out of hand here in the United States. We don't want the reversal of men losing out on opportunities in the next decade. 

I just recently finished reading Sheryl Sandburg's book, "Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead" and it was fantastic! My favorite part was near the beginning: "I do not believe that there is one definition of of success or happiness. Not all women want careers. Not all women want children. Not all women want both. I would never advocate that we should all have the same objectives. Many people are not interested in acquiring power, not because they lack ambition, but because they are living their lives as they desire. Some of the most important contributions to our world are made by caring for one person as a time. We each have to chart our own unique course and define goals which goals fit our lives, values and dreams." Also I loved this blog post about empowering our girls to aspire to something other than a Disney princess. 

Myth #2: I'm a Democrat. False. Ever since DC, I learned that I am more moderate than most people around me. I believe that both sides are doing their best and I really wish we could combine the best of both, instead of arguing about everything. I might become more conservative or liberal in the future, but one thing is for certain, I am the only person that gets to have a say. 

Myth #3: I don't want to be a mom or ever get married. I joke about these two a lot, but I really cannot wait for both of these to happen. But right now, that's nowhere near in my future, so I'm moving forward with my own personal plans. And that's okay. It's okay to want to pursue a graduate degree. (Yes, this is me convincing myself that it's okay to want higher education). I recently watched Love Actually (don't judge!) and I LOVED this beginning quote: 

Yes, there are so many sad things going on in the world, but there are so many happy things going on as well! I hope we all remember that today! #trueloveexists

I want a love like Joseph and Emma's:
"My heart is entwined around yours forever and ever."- in a letter to Emma  

Anyways, now that we've clarified some things, back to my life. Yesterday was the most overstimulating day of my life. #butreally I went to work and the most attractive men I've ever met in my life (#realtalk he was tall, dark-haired, blue-eyed and had an Australian accent) came into the office. He kept on talking to me and he had the greatest smile. I legit wanted to marry him but I definitely gave that opportunity up when I asked the other secretary to take him across campus to his next location. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?! I have seriously not been that attracted to someone in my life. 

I then was crazy with my two co-workers. After all this craziness, I seriously came home and took an hour nap. I then watched some Legally Blonde before talking to my friend Jess (who leaves for her mission next week!). It is incredible how much someone can mean to you only after a year of friendship. She was the person who taught me how to be positive and I am so jealous that the people of the West Indies get her for the next year and a half. She is going to be a fantastic missionary! After talking with her, I went to Zupa's with Casey and Marisa where we all caught up. Right before we left, I discovered that a certain person I creeped on during high school was getting back on his mission and freaked out. So there's that!  It was great! At this point, I was on extrovert overload. So Marisa and I watched part of a movie until Lindsey Lou called us.We caught up, chatting about the weird things going on in life and IT WAS GREAT. 

I also finally started my Boss Women Unite book. For those who don't know, I really want to form this organization with Candace. I want to focus on increasing girl's and women's self esteem. So I bought a cute purple notebook (made in Italy!) and started writing down not only speech ideas, but quotes that empower me. I cannot wait for this to become an actual organization! It gets me excited!

And not but last least, I am so excited to go home! I know that I just was there, but it's always happy to be home. I miss my family so much. Until next Wednesday, when I have to get on a shuttle at 2:30 in the morning. Then, I'll probably be grumpy. I'll just keep jamming here. Tonight I'm chilling with my V5 girls from last summer. Tomorrow I have my Kate Nash concert with Marisa and on Saturday we are planting flowers at the Salt Lake temple. My life is a dream.

 P.S. LOVING this song right now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment