Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow- that's why I don't save my best for last." -Paulo Coelho

I really enjoy this quote because I believe in giving your best every day. My old Young Women's leader encouraged us to follow President Hinckley's counsel to every day "Try a little harder to be a little better." This is a motto I have strived to follow since I heard it. That means that sometimes you have to go to the extra mile and sometimes it means that other people go the extra mile. Today I'd like to reflect on people who went the extra mile for me today... but first let's talk about my first day of school!

This is Michal and I (in our work clothes of course!) on the first day of my junior year and Michal's senior year (#whatwillidowithouther??). 

So anyways I headed off not really excited to go to class. My first class was Spanish. Talk about coming back to class! Yikes! Lucky for me I had the opportunity to see Bergie Berg before I even went to class! It was the best because she is just so positive and happy ALL the time and it rubbed off on me when I was about to go to class. Then I got to see my friend Faith (from Colorado!!) because she was going to be in my Spanish class.  Mi profesora es de Espana. (Which means that she sounds like she has lisp and she uses different forms/conjugations!) Luckily however my teacher is awesome. I then headed to my Literature of the Latter-day Saints class and it's legitimately only 15 people and we meet around a table! So that will be fun. I also went to my Brit Lit class and my Humanities class (which will be a joke, seriously.) Anyways, it turned out well. I then ran home so I could attend my FHE activity which involved free food (!) and meeting everyone. It was way fun! The sad moment came when I had to say goodbye to my bestie Madison because she left for Jerusalem this morning! I am so excited to hear about her adventures though.

Anyways I woke up today kind of in a funk. Luckily for me I had some people help me out. First off, my shining angel of a friend/ co-worker, Michal. I literally do not know what I would do without her. Seriously. She has literally been there for every moment of my college experience and I absolutely adore her. She's the best. I also had the opportunity to see my good friend from back home, Daniel Scott! I only saw him for like 15 minutes, but it was really good because he's from back home and just completely knows me! :) I came home and worked out and ate a strawberry popsicle. I then had the opportunity to get my first priesthood blessing not from my dad! My friends Race and Tyler came over and I am so glad they did. I was nervous to ask them, but I am so thankful that I live in a place (who would have thought I would write that sentence?!) where I can ask guy friends for a blessings. So thankful. I don't think guys realize what a blessing they can be do girls who need blessings.  Then my girls (aka my roomies) Marisa and Linds took me to Fro-Yo and watched gems of videos (and by that I mean videos about One Direction). It was super fun and I am just so glad that I have friends to help cheer me up both spiritually and temporally. 

Lately I have come to a conclusion while reading the new book that Sheri Dew wrote an essay for (it's the new book about the original minutes for Relief Society. I, being the poor college student I am, read it in the bookstore). And something really hit me. We tell women from the time they are in Young Women's that they need to prepare for marriage. While yes that is important, I believe we need to be telling women to prepare for the temple. If you are preparing for the temple, then you are also working to prepare for marriage. By placing a higher value on learning how to prepare for the temple, I am sure your experience in the temple the first time will be even that more valued. I CANNOT WAIT TO GO TO THE TEMPLE! So it is my goal to go to the temple at least once every two weeks. (Last year, I went once a week and I am pretty sure it's the only reason I survived last year.) So anyways, that's my random deep thought for the day. I can't wait to see what the year brings and I am so glad for my friends I have here in Provo who make me feel like this is my home away from home! Love you all!

1 comment: