Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be."- Wayne W. Dyer

Hey kids! It's been awhile, so I wanted to post an update. I picked the following quote because I've fully come to terms with one simple truth: Ultimately, I'd rather follow Heavenly Father's plan for my life than the plan I have. It's taken me awhile to come to terms with that, and therefore, I haven't blogged in a long time. But, while I was on my trip to Utah, I had a very real reflection moment. I haven't been in Provo or near BYU campus in 2 1/2 years. The last time I was there, I hated it: my parents were getting divorced, my best friends either getting married or going on a mission and I had complete stress over going on a mission.  As I walked on campus last Friday, I had a moment. I was sitting outside Professor Cope's office, sitting on the same bench where I waited for her to tell her my parents were getting divorced about 3 years ago. And all these emotions came back. But the strongest was gratitude that things, but especially I, have changed. I was in the same place physically, but not emotionally or spiritually And that is the best.  I am no longer a negative person. I can identify and express my emotions. I believe in families. One of my deepest desires is to be a wife and a mother. I think the best thing is change. It's also nice when you realize other people have changed too. I had the chance to be around several people I haven't seen for years. And it made me realize that some things about them that I thought were just part of their personality had changed. And it also made me realize that people I once hated had redeeming factors. People, ultimately, are good. Sometimes I don't see that. I had the opportunity to change my opinion about someone from BYU that I had genuinely disliked for a long time.It was such an intense moment. But it also made me so grateful that I belong to a church that not only believes in change, but encourages it. The whole point of the atonement is to change and become more like Christ.  And that is the greatest miracle of all. Especially for someone who always feels she falls short. While with my friend Danny, we were chatting about how it's so hard because we both have big consciences. We were discussing about having to forgive ourselves for silly mistakes is often tough. And as luck would have it (read: HEAVENLY FATHER IS THE BEST), Elder Cornish addressed this same topic during conference. He said:
"Let me be direct and clear. The answers to the questions “Am I good enough?” and “Will I make it?” are “Yes! You are going to be good enough” and “Yes, you are going to make it as long as you keep repenting and do not rationalize or rebel.” The God of heaven is not a heartless referee looking for any excuse to throw us out of the game. He is our perfectly loving Father, who yearns more than anything else to have all of His children come back home and live with Him as families forever. He truly gave His Only Begotten Son that we might not perish but have everlasting life!1 Please believe, and please take hope and comfort from, this eternal truth. Our Heavenly Father intends for us to make it! That is His work and His glory."- Elder Cornish.
 And the best thing is he was my area authority president for my mission. And he's the one that told me that stress is a form of pride. And several other things. Basically, answer received loud and clear. It was also so so so good to see Marisa, Linds, Hermanas Fife and Mapa and my seester. I haven't laughed that much in such a long time. It was very therapeutic and very needed. Yay for good friends!  It was a very good weekend, full of reflection and gratitude. And more on that later!

Some general updates:
  • I got converted to an 'otter' at work. Basically that means I am no longer a temp and I can officially say I work at Otterbox. I was super surprised/excited, just like this otter: 
Look at how cute this is.
  • I applied to CSU to do a master's in Teaching English as a Second Language. Ever since my days on the mission teaching Dominicans English, I realized it's something I enjoy doing. And I'm good at it. And it's something I can teach refugees. So it's a win-win. And I found out I can be a graduate assistant and get free tuition. So wahoo! I NEVER thought I would ever apply for an MA in teaching. Or at CSU. But then, I think about how loving Heavenly Father was for inspiring me to not go to Georgetown. It was a very hard decision, but now I may get a master's degree, with all my tuition paid, in a field I actually enjoy. And that is the beauty of listening to the spirit. I thought of the quote I read often on my mission, which is from President Monson quoting someone named Benjamin Landart. He says, "The greatest decision I ever made in my life was to give up something I dearly loved to the God I loved even more. He has never forgotten me for it." So true. It was true about serving a mission and letting go of Georgetown the first time. But it's also still applicable to giving it up the second time. Heavenly Father is truly merciful. And why wouldn't we want to follow His plan? He is a perfect Being with a complete understanding of everything, but also with a complete understanding of who we are! How great is His plan! I don't know how people make decisions without the influence of the Spirit. It honestly makes me sad. 
Now onto some pictures of my life recently: 
Seeing Michal (and meeting Emma!!) for the first time in over 2 1/2 years!! SO HAPPY!
Me and the boys at Darby's wedding. 
Danny and I's first picture in like 4 years! 

Wedding fun with aunt Sierra and grandparents! 
Temple square with Linds and Marisa. 
Hermana Fife (JoLee) and I went to the Dominican restaurant.
Mason, McKay and I!! Three returned missionaries!
Father/daughter cooking tamale class! Even though they were vegan, they were delicious. 
So that's it. Changing, growing, crying, laughing. The whole catastrophe. Life is good my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment