Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2014

"Great people do things before they’re ready. They do things before they know they can do it... Doing what you're afraid of, getting out of your comfort zone, taking risks like that -- that is what life is. You might be really good. You might find out something about yourself that's really special and if you're not good, who cares? You tried something. Now you know something about yourself."- Amy Poehler

I just absolutely love this quote. In the next few months, I have done/will do things that I am definitely not ready for. I wasn't ready to graduate and I certainly do not feel ready for my time as a missionary in the Dominican Republic. And even though I had 150 hours of training, I was still nervous to start my job. Amy is one of my boss women who I greatly look up to. I hope I can be half the women she is in this lifetime. Talk about someone who isn't afraid to do things before they're ready! Love it!

I wanted to blog about this because while I was in Florida, one of the main curriculum directors shared something from a book that actually made me cry (#thepowerofliterature). Anyways, I am going to bring it with me on my mission because I absolutely love it. It's all about doing things before you feel ready and it is so great. A little bit of background of what's happening at this point in the story. A bunch of boys at a Catholic school have nothing better to do but guess what day the lake will freeze. They all guess generically until one boy named Patrick says he will skate across the lake on December 8. The day comes and this is where I will start quoting:

"Pat, I said, you can't do this. It's impossible. My words registered not at all with him. He stood and went up the hill a little, to get a running start. I felt a real fear for him. To the sound of a gun inside his head, he took off, launching himself onto that shimmering surface. He hit it in stride, his legs pumping away. But he hit it with a great crack, and sure enough the ice broke. It was too thin. It was too soon. Oh, Patrick!

Then we saw the ice was breaking and opening, not under him, but behind him. He was ahead of the break, skating so lightly that even the thin ice was support enough for the instant he needed it. All of us on that shore, watching him barreling across that lake, were transformed... We began to cry after him, "Go Patrick! Go Patrick!" As he shot across that ice, leaving behind a great crack, a wedge of black water, we knew we had never seen such courage before, not to mention such savvy knowledge of the ice. We had never seen such a capacity of for trust- a man's trust in himself. Even before he made it all the way across, and of course he did make it, I thought, this is a man I want to be with."

I love that line in bold. "The thin ice was support enough for him the instant he needed it." There will be a lot of times when the only thing sustaining us is, what, at the time, we will think is the thin ice of the atonement. But the great thing about it is that I know someone who has skated across the pond before me, almost literally in my shoes, experiencing my same emotions- my Savior. He may let us struggle a bit, and we may have to witness the crack of world crashing down behind us, but the ice under our feet for the moment will never shatter. We will always have eternal support and it's such a happy thing to ponder. I have always loved the quote, "In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there's something stronger-something better, pushing right back." (That's from a book I read in AP Lit, "The Stranger" by Albert Camus and for the record, I am bringing this on the mish too!) There is something stronger than the world (and Satan!) telling us what we're doing wrong. And that something is the knowledge that we are divine beings who were meant to accomplish extraordinary things here on earth. If we have that little seedling of faith of our divine worth, then we're never going to falter, even in moments where we're skating on thin ice.

I also like the beginning part where he mentions that Patrick "was ahead of the break." A lot of times we have our naysayers, the number one being Satan, telling us we can't do what we need to. But, if we stay strong and remain with our permanent ice skater, then we're going to be fine. If we are prepared and have a solid testimony, then the times when the ice begins to break, our own weight, combined with the ice (our Savior's infinite atonement) will get us through. Notice that I am pointing out that Patrick had to start skating before he realized he was going to be fine. Martin Luther King Jr. once stated, "You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." In this metaphor, just take the first skate!

We also have our own heroes and she-roes that have "skated the ice before us" here on earth. That's why being friendly to everyone we meet, knowing they have unique challenges is of the utmost importance. We're put here on earth to help others and that includes being there for people with similar challenges, but also being compassionate when it comes to people who have challenges that are different from ours. I have a tendency to judge people for their reactions to their trials. To me, some of them seem to be a breeze. But then I am always reminded, some people probably laugh at my trials too. And it makes me realize that these are my brothers and sisters. If I have "skated the ice" of a similar trial, the Savior would expect me to grab their hand, lace their skates, and guide them across because that's exactly what He would do if He was physically on earth. Instead, for right now, He’s made this our responsibility. And that's one reason I am excited to serve a mission. I will be representing Christ, doing what He would be doing.  Because I know there will be people leading me across the ice (okay, so maybe not ice in the DR, but maybe through the humidity??) and I will have the opportunity to help as many people as I can across the metaphorical ice as well.

This story obviously works on a lot of levels, but mostly I've been thinking on two ways I've seen this directly. The first is in my job. My supervisor taught one season already and knows exactly how I feel when I have bad teaching moments. However, on a more personal life level, it also works greatly for my mission. Over the past few years, Heavenly Father was directly preparing me for something, the people of the Dominican Republic. Although I was just placed in the advanced (YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!) class for Spanish at the DR MTC, I know the ice (my previous knowledge+the spirit) will help me make it safely across. Will there be moments where all the ice is tumbling around me? Yes. However, like Maya Angelou has said, "We may encounter many defeats, but we must not be defeated." Oh how sad I am about the loss of this great lady. But even if we see our ice crashing down around us, we should always have the peace that our little piece of ice will ultimately get us across the lake and into the arms of our loving Heavenly Father. I have always loved this picture because it’s exactly how I think it will be like on that day:


So, to sum up this long rambling, do the thing you think you can’t. (Again, paraphrasing my boss women Eleanor Roosevelt). You’re more ready than you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment