Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

In Defense of Hillary Clinton

So if you clicked on this, you're probably thinking, "oh there goes crazy obsessive Kelsey again. Her and her obsessions." And that thought process is exactly why I am writing this. I am here to explain (for once and for all!) exactly why Hillary Clinton is a boss, and therefore why I love her so much.

Let me start at the beginning: I hated Hillary Clinton up until about a year ago. This was mostly due because I was naive and everyone kind of hated her. Then I took the Meyers Brigg personality test and discovered I was an INTJ... and that one famous person who had my personality was Hillary Clinton. Being the INTJ I am, I decided to research more about her. The more I researched, the more impressed I became. (I'll expand on this later though) I am generally long-minded, so I'll break it into bullet points and then for those who want to know more, I've add extra stuff under each bullet point. 

Why Hills is a boss:

  • She is literally the first woman to do EVERYTHING.
    • First woman to 
      • be the wife of a president to seek and win national office
      • be elected to the U.S. Senate from New York
      • be the female chair of the Legal Services Corporation in 1978
      • be female partner at Rose Law Firm in 1979
      • be the former First Lady to serve in a president's cabinet
      • be student commencement speaker at Wellesley College
      • be a member on Wal-Mart's board. 
      • be the First Lady to hold a postgraduate degree and to have her own professional career up to the time of entering the White House.
      • have an office in the West Wing of the White House in addition to the usual First Lady offices in the East Wing. 
  • She is a child advocate... my dream job. 
    • She went to YALE law school and chose to go into child advocacy.
    • She once states that "every child deserves a champion." 
    • She co-founded the Arkansas Advocates for Children and families which mission statements say "child citizens are powerless individuals." She also worked for Children's Defense Fund in DC. 
    • She was twice listed as one of the 100 most influential lawyers in America
  • She totally kept her cool and forgave Bill.
    • This one really bothers me because most people believe it was just a political marriage. But here's the thing, even if it was (which I am not so sure it was given her background with her own family) her private life was suddenly brought into the public sphere. And she handled it so gracefully. I mean they had a daughter that they were raising and then Bill made a huge PUBLIC mistake. You have to be pretty classy to forgive him after that. Which reminds me,she once stated, "In the bible it says you have to forgive seventy times seven, I want you all to know, I'm keeping a chart." I don't understand how members of my faith don't believe that she can forgive her husband for having an affair and yet believe all the other stories of forgiveness we hear on a weekly basis. It must have been/still is very humiliating to have her marriage constantly under scruitiny. Plus, why is is okay to endorse staying together no matter the circumstances, but then attack her for only staying in her marriage for "political reasons?" 
  • She was a hardcore Republican
    • She served as a president for her alma mater for the Wellesley Young Republicans. She also volunteered to campaign for Barry Goldwater's presidential election of 1964. 
    • She also attended a Washington Seminar-esque program. She interned at the House Republican Conference for the "Wellesley in Washington Program," so basically we're twinsies. 
    • She originally was very strongly opposed to gay marriage. You can learn more about her evolution of views on gay marriage here
    • She once states that she has a "mind conservative and a heart liberal," which is exactly how I, and many other Americans I am sure, feel about politics. 
  • She's an INTJ. Yeah, I know for most of you, that does not mean anything to you. But here's the thing. Only around less than one percent of women IN THE WORLD have an INTJ personality (It is also very very rare for men as well). That means she and I have the rarest type of personality in women. I oftentimes feel like people cannot connect with what I am saying/believing. I also feel that she is completely misunderstood. Her harsh nature is actually just a shell. I mean, she is a child rights activist for goodness sake!
  • She had political ambition before Bill.
    • In fact, she refused his proposal numerous times because she wanted to be her own woman. (Which is why she did not use his name before he was in office) 
    • Also, she made more than him when he first started off as president. If that's not legitimately awesome, I don't know what is. 
  • Hardcore women's advocate:
    • “We need to understand that there is no formula for how women should lead their lives. That is why we must respect the choices that each woman makes for herself. Every woman deserves the chance to realize her God-given potential.” (Yes, while this is probably about abortion, you still have to admit how incredible that is."
    • Her last words as Secretary of State involved women's rights: ?Because the jury is in, the evidence is absolutely indisputable: If women and girls everywhere were treated as equal to men in rights, dignity, and opportunity, we would see political and economic progress everywhere."
  • She does not care about her physical appearance, and is completely confident about it. Actually, she's completely confident just about who she is in general. 
    • More young women need examples about this. Hillary is about her brains, not looking pretty or dressing up. She doesn't need boss clothes or hairstyles to prove she means business. 
    • "Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you.”-
  • She can laugh at herself.
    • Exhibit A: People make fun of her hair all the time, but she just throws it back and states, "If I want to knock a story off the front page, I just change my hairstyle."
    • Exhibit B: When the moderator at a debate basically told her she didn't have a likability factor, she just laughed it off. (You can watch it here)
    • Exhibit C: Her submission to the Texts From Hillary

  • She believes in America more than most people, and that's what drives her to be a leader. 
    • "My faith in our country and our future is stronger than ever. Every time that blue and white airplane carrying the word 'United States of America' touches down in some far-off capital, I feel again the honor it is to represent the world's indispensable nation."
  • She can admit she made mistakes, but also doesn't let people bully her.
    • Case in point: Benghazi. She held her ground during the hearings (she is seriously such a great boss when it comes to defending herself). But she also said,  "For me, this is not just a matter of policy," she said. "It’s personal. I stood next to President Obama as the Marines carried those flag-draped caskets off the plane at Andrews. I put my arms around the mothers and fathers, the sisters and brothers, the sons and daughters, and the wives left alone to raise their children." . So yeah, she has feelings, regardless of what people say. (I also identify with the idea of people thinking I don't have feelings either). 
  • She can identify her weaknesses: "Probably my worst quality is that i get very passionate about what I think is right." (Another classic INTJ thing statement I completely get) 
  • She has so many great quotes:
    • “Every moment wasted looking back, keeps us from moving forward.” 
    • “When you stumble, keep faith. And when you're knocked down, get right back up and never listen to anyone who says you can't or shouldn't go on.”
    • “We should remember that just as a positive outlook on life can promote good health, so can everyday acts of kindness.”
    • "One thing we know for sure is that change is certain. Progress is not. Progress depends on the choices we make today for tomorrow and on whether we meet our challenges and protect our values." 
I could probably on for forever. But this woman:
is a BOSS whether you admit it or not. So that's my tirade against people who don't even respect her as a person. 

1 comment: